A rebel official and the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group said that Russian jets resumed heavy bombing of rebel-held eastern Aleppo on Tuesday after several days of relative calm.
Air strikes mostly hit the Bustan al-Qasr neighborhood, Zakaria Malhifji of the Aleppo-based Fastaqim rebel group told Reuters.
“There is renewed bombardment and it is heavy,” he said.
The Observatory said at least eight people were killed in Bustan al-Qasr and Fardous neighborhoods.
Moscow and Damascus reduced air raids in the northern city last week. The Syrian army said it was partly to allow civilians to leave opposition-held eastern neighborhoods.
The Syrian government said rebels holed up in Aleppo can leave with their families if they lay down their arms.
Insurgents denounced that offer as a deception.
President Bashar al-Assad seeks the complete recapture of Aleppo, Syria’s biggest city before the 5-1/2-year war, and which has been divided between government and opposition control for years.
Assad’s ally Russia has meanwhile built up its forces in Syria since a brief ceasefire collapsed last month.
Russia’s intervention a year ago has helped the government side gain the upper hand against rebels on many frontlines in the Syrian conflict, including Aleppo where the opposition-held sector has been completely encircled for weeks.
Insurgents had advanced elsewhere against government forces and their allies, including in Hama province further south where they captured a series of towns and villages last month. Government forces have regained some of those areas in recent days, however.